Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Blog #1. My current abilities as a writer as of August 14th.

      Due to the previous classes in English and writing throughout the years, I would have to say that I am highly confident in my abilities for this year. Last year in English Honors III, I was forced (sometimes against my will) to complete tedious essays and papers. My main regret from the class last year was that I procrastinated tremendously towards the middle and end of the school year. By doing this, I don't feel like my writing was up to par as much as I would've liked. I'm looking forward to pushing myself and keeping my grades high for the entire year. Over the summer, it became much more evident to me how fast I'm going to run into my future. Before I know it, I'm going to be filling out scholarship applications and applying for college. Soon I'll be a graduate of high school and have to possibly look for a more full-time job. Life is going to be falling upon me fast, and by taking this class, I feel like I will be more prepared for that future. One of my apprehensions for this class is that I will have more problems with my inner "passive voice". Last year I struggled with my writing because of that, and to this day I really don't know for curtain what that is...But I do remember having a lot of green underlines in my papers because my sentences seemed backwards. But besides that, I have become a more rounded writer. I have written my chemistry research paper and received a higher letter grade on it. I have completed two of your complicated portfolios. And I have written numerous articles for the Knightbeat and online newspapers. The idea of writing does not intimidate me, but rather it gives me something to look forward to accomplishing.
     This year I am hoping to understand more about my passive voice. Overall, I'm just hoping to enjoy this class. I feel very lucky to have you as a teacher for my first college class ever, and I'm comfortable with your grading methods. I understand when I have made mistakes and you should know that I am more than willing (most of the time) to re-edit anything that doesn't meet my standards of writing. I'm looking forward to the challenges this class will pose on me and I'm hoping to become an even better writer when this semester is completed. To be able to not make as many grammatical errors and spelling mistakes would be a nice perk also. I'm still not very comfortable with presenting my work in front of a class, but I think that just comes from not wanting my work to be judged. Secretly, I'm hoping that I won't have to do any presenting... But  I have  been looking forward to this class all summer, so bring it on!

1 comment:

  1. The end of this semester and school year will be here before you know it. You have to make something out of the time you have. That means working hard on the upcoming series of essays and fighting the urge to procrastinate.

    I think you have your voice, but you don't know what it is yet or how to define it. I think writing in this class as well as in journalism this year will be very helpful to find all of this out.

    Not sure about presenting anything to the class aside from letting others read your work for editing. That's more the purview of speech class. 10/10

    ReplyDelete