Thursday, August 16, 2012

My views on writing...

    I am looking forward to this more challenging english class because I feel like I can actually do the work. I like to be challenged in my writing and I love any excuse to write. In the past, when having to write a paper, be it research or creative, I have taken alot of time and thought into it. I even have afterthoughts when I know there is no way I can change what I wrote, and I think about how I could've worded something better, or added humor here, or carried the story in a different plot turning way. I consider myself a good writer, but I am usually not confident in showcasing my writing. I do feel pride, usually, instead of embarrasment after my work is read, but in the past I haven't been too thrilled to have to read my work aloud. I think that is because I pour alot of myself into my writing; it's my way of expressing myself.      When I write for more of a research paper, I spend alot of time editing and revising. Last year I had over fifty note cards of quotes and statistics which I organized and numbered and filed into different catagories. I chose a topic that was different than any one elses and received an A on my paper. Even when it came to writing a speech about the topic you chose, I continued on my topic and felt empowered when I delivered my speech. As soon as it was over, I wanted to stand up and give it again. But beforehand, sitting there writing the speech, I remember being completely flustered because I didn't want to portray something in a way that no one could understand.        
    When I was younger, my teachers would always comment that I wrote the way I spoke....back then I didn't understand whether that was a compliment or an insult. And I saved mostly all of the things I had to write from way back then, and I understand somewhat more now. I didn't have much of a filter when I use to write, and my papers would be filled with my own opinions. I have learned to many more words since those days though, and I never turn in any writing that I'm not 100% comfterble with; otherwise I'd be up the entire night beforehand, rewriting the entire piece.

   I am mostly excited for the romance and horror sections of reading for this year. These are two generes that I read mostly and feel like I would enjoy the most. The poetry and some of the novels have me a little worried that they won't hold my attention as much, but I'm willing to try...


1 comment:

  1. This was really good to read! I got a somewhat negative vibe (not from you, but the class in general) on the first day of class. I'm glad that you're willing to take up the challenge of a more difficult English class, and with that sort of attitude I know you're going to do very well.

    As far as reading out loud, it's not something that I ask my students to do a whole lot. I can understand that writing is personal and can come from the soul. What we will be doing is peer editing of more major pieces of writing. This means that other students will be reading your work and giving suggestions. So just keep that in mind as you write major essays or other work.

    What was your topic for your sophomore paper? I'm curious to find out what you wrote about and then spoke about.

    Romanticism (not lovey dovey romance, just in case that might have been your thinking) and gothic are two of my absolute favorite time periods in American literature. I'm really excited to get started on those as soon as we can. As far as the other novels, hopefully they'll be worthwhile. I know students have apprehensions about Huck Finn in particular, but I've had nothing but success with some of the other pieces of literature.

    Thanks for your honest response! Can't wait to really get started with this class!

    ReplyDelete